Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Devil Made Me Do It! Or Did He?

I know temptation is all around us.  The temptation to over eat, and to over spend are just a couple of things I have to personally come against on a regular basis. We all rush around from one thing to the next,  and in our daily travels people cut us off, tempting us to pull up along-side and give them the “what the” look. They move too slow, tempting us to honk viciously because we want to make the next light. And some talk too much, tempting us to turn the other cheek because we just don’t have time for idle chit-chat. Someone insults or offends us and we’re tempted to not only cling onto the offense, but we’re also tempted to share the dirty little offense that’s been done to us.

For the most part the temptations I’ve listed above are minor, and fact is, I really can’t blame the devil for my eating half a pack of my favorite Girl Scout cookies instead of eating just one or two cookies, but the Bible does make it clear that temptation can and will come from the devil. The first successful attack of temptation is found in Genesis. And then there was the infamous attack on Jesus (Luke 4:1-13) where Satan tries his best to trip Jesus up with one temptation after another.  Satan is, however, unsuccessful in his endeavor because Jesus knows the Word of God.

There are layers of incredible lessons in these verses, but let’s just take a look at a few of the obvious ones. First, notice in verse 4:2, “Afterward He hungered” (He hadn’t eaten in forty days). And Satan, knowing this, is right there tempting Jesus with, of all things, bread! Satan is dirty, he knows our weak spots and he will attack.

Jesus, once again sets the stage for us, he is prepared and unwavering as He responds with, “It is written, that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God” verse 4:4.  Jesus addresses something of much more importance, not our natural hunger, but our spiritual hunger. He is “full” of the Word. Are you? I have to ask myself this very question every time I read these passages. Am I full of the word? Am I able to withstand whatever the devil brings my way? Just as it is not wise for me to walk the grocery store on a hungry stomach, it is not wise that I walk the world on a hungry spirit.

Finally, verse 4:13, “And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he (the devil) departed from him (Jesus) for a season”. Take note, “for a season!”  -  Newer translations say, “until an opportune time”. In other words,   “He’ll be baaaaack!”  You can count on it.
Remember, it is “an opportune time” that the devil is looking for.  Furthermore, he not only tempts us to do wrong , or lead us astray, but seriously, I’m convinced that it is he who tempts me to do NOTHING at all! God puts something on my heart and I cave into fatigue, too many other things to do, and worse yet I listen to the negative thoughts that fill my mind with inadequacies and then instead of MOVING  …  I do nothing!  

If the devil gets his way and we do nothing he wins and the lives that God wants to touch and change through us will not happen. If the devil gets his way and we never open a Bible, attend church, or never pray for a personal relationship with Christ, the devil wins. But, what if we do open the Bible, go to church, and pray for a relationship with Christ? And, what if we do keep ourselves full of “every word of God”?

And what if we do   …  MOVE  …   at Gods prompting?  

Just Saying

No comments:

Post a Comment