Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Good Witness


Two weeks have passed and I’m still walking in the afterglow of the New Year with a desire, which will not yield, to encourage others.  I remember reading an article a year or so ago about a guy who’s website became a great success with people reporting stupid, mean, rude, and embarrassing moments about others. I was astounded by the delight these people took in degrading others. This motivated me to start seeking the good, kind, polite, and proud moments in life. I wondered what kind of change I would undergo if I, with intent, sought only these qualities in people.
   
Unfortunately, one need not search out the repugnant and crude for they pursue with avidity. One must pull their eyes, ears and heart away from the adverse in order to clearly focus on the positive.  I will tell you now – it’s a heart thing.  For in each lies good and bad, strength and weakness – the choice is ours.

Along with giving thanks, I’m pledging each day to make a conscientious effort to take notice of something good --  whether it is an act of kindness, or be it something I read about someone doing -- and share it with others.  I’m not talking just heroics, but also, the ordinary day-to-day nice things people do.

I would love it if you would join me in posting the kind acts you've witnessed done by others, and then personally share it with someone else.  A trickle effect awaits us!

A good witness:  The other day on the bike path a fellow rider was repairing a flat tire when I witnessed another rider slow down and ask if he had everything he needed. 

“Seek good, not evil, that you may live.” – Amos 5:14

1 comment:

  1. Jodi, you've nailed it. I have been the grateful recipient of your encouragement, and so appreciate it. I am intentionally trying to talk to people when I am out, usually in a store. Often checkers are surprised when I ask them about how their day is going, if they have fun plans, etc. It's being part of a community and sharing God's love in a small way.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete